Saturday, April 29, 2006

Up for bid

This old log cabin, probably about 150 years old, was being put on the aution block today. The family was gracious enough to let me on the property to take photographs of the cabin and barn.
This shows the hand-hewn logs where they join. It's hard to imagine building one of these today, much less 150 years ago with the primitive tools they must have had.
The discoloration in the wood is from an old flat bed that had been leaning on the cabin for years.
I know I'll appreciate my nice, insulated house tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures you took while we were there. We did go back for part of the auction. Even with the rain they had a good turn out. I would like to know if the buildings sold and if they did what does something like that sell for. I can only imagine what it must have felt like for the husband to see all of this happening to his property.