Thursday, May 15, 2008

Career #17

If you asked me when I was 18 what I wanted to do I would have told you that I wanted to be a research scientist and discover a cure for rheumatoid arthritis.
Unfortunately, chemistry wasn't my strong subject, but math was. I was also in love and planning to get married later that year. (hey, it was okay to get married young back then)
So I went with the business courses. Let's see what's happened since then.
Jobs I have had since I was 18:
secretary for adult ed tech school
secretary for pest control company
wife
accounts payable/receivable for steel corporation
year end accounting audit preparation for an interior design company and a clothing mfg.
mom
health insurance claims processor
health insurance claims processor trainer
grocery store cashier
hot lunch lady
florist
scrapbook store owner
grandma
EDIT: Catalog photographer, import company
health insurance customer service
sales associate in home decor store
in between all of this was various volunteer work and committee work for church/school
That's a lot of stuff.
What a winding road I have taken to finally get to my current endeavor.
drum roll please...............



I am always excited to face new challenges and dive right in.
I think that once you set your mind to something you should figure out how to go about it
then get it done.
For the last month I have been working on my website,
networking with other professional photographers,
meeting new people that I really like,
marketing,
and taking tons of photos.
Whether it will pay off or not,
I will surely enjoy this ride.

So - to all those graduating high school in these next couple of weeks, my two awesome nephews included, I might ask you what you want to DO or to BE, but just know that it's okay to either know or not know. And even if you think you know, it's okay to change direction. The important thing to keep in mind is to always move forward and always give it your very best effort.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, lets see, you forgot a couple on that list.
What about your Photo Club roll, and more importantly than that, a true & wise friend.

I am so proud of you for pursing your passion and being willing to put forth the effort it has taken to get to this point - you go girl because you are going to soar.

Love ya Pal!
L

Anonymous said...

You forgot about Knights International. Congratulations on your new endeavor and good luck always. You are going to give many people happy memories just like you did with the scrapbook store. You have always amazed me with your many talents. L. Cuz

Pam said...

How could I have forgotten about that one? Actually I think there might be another in there somewhere, but I promise I'll go back and edit. Thanks, cuz!